Friday, January 22, 2016
The Boys and Girls Clubs of America
Hank Minchin graduated from Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania in 1995 and worked for the Bank of New York and Oppenheimer & Company before joining Credit Suisse in 2000. He currently holds the title of managing director and heads the company’s equity trading operations in New York City. Hank Minchin lives with his family in Greenwich, CT, enjoys recreational sports such as tennis, golf, and ice hockey, and enthusiastically supports the work of the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich.
A Congressionally chartered nationwide network of local clubs, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America traces its roots to Hartford, Connecticut, in 1860, when three women formed a club for boys to keep them from roaming wild in the streets. They worked with a professional to create an informal guidance program that would attract boys to the club, where they’d engage in activities that not only captured their interest, but also contributed to their character development, which would serve them throughout their lives.
Similar Boys Clubs sprung up in other cities and towns, and 53 of them joined together to form the Federated Boys Clubs in 1906, the beginning of the modern nationwide movement. The Greenwich club was formed shortly afterward, in 1908. The national organization’s name was changed in 1931 to the Boys Clubs of America, and in 1990 to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America to acknowledge the vital role that girls play in the clubs. Today about 45 percent of the membership of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America is female.
The Clubs serve almost 4 million young people annually in more than 4,000 facilities, of which about 500 are affiliated youth centers on U.S. military bases worldwide, 300 are in public housing developments, and 200 on native lands. More than 1,100 independent local organizations nationwide are affiliated with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, which maintains its national headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.